5 amazing things about Rooibos
South Africans love the sweet, mild taste of Rooibos tea which grows naturally only one place in the world, the Cederberg mountains of the Western Cape. As more and more research proves the benefits of Rooibos in helping prevent oxidative stress in the body, its popularity is growing with the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Germany importing the most.
African Extracts has Rooibos at the heart of our skin-care products. We love that it’s so rich in antioxidants, such as aspalathin which unique to this plant, and other components so beneficial to the skin. Like superoxide dismutase, an enzyme that helps slow skin ageing, zinc, natural alpha-hydroxy acid and a legendary ability to soothe and calm.
We love Rooibos tea as well, which has these inspiring benefits:
- Rooibos contains essential minerals for health – and great-looking skin, including calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, and Vitamin C.
- The ideal beverage in times of stress, Rooibos is low in tannins and caffeine free. It helps to calm and soothe, making it perfect to enjoy before bed. It also keeps you hydrated; even slight dehydration can mimic the physical reactions associated with anxiety and depression.
- With almost zero calories, Rooibos is often enjoyed simply with a slice of lemon or ginger for a bit of zing! No need for milk or sweetening. Serve warm or as a refreshing iced tea.
- Rooibos tea contains antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce aches and pains. The anti-spasmodic compounds in Rooibos help to alleviate abdominal pain and stomach cramps.
- Studies have shown that Rooibos tea is excellent for heart health. The chrysoeriol flavonoid is effective for lowering high blood pressure and increasing circulation. The relaxing effects help to open up blood vessels while antioxidants work to lower bad cholesterol and prevent plaque build-up.